How do you convince a toddler to eat a casserole stuffed full of healthy veggies?
Throw some tater tots on it!!
That’s right, you heard me! Tater tots are not inherently unhealthy as potatoes go, so topping this veggie stuffed casserole with the kid favorite is an instant win!
- 4 celery stalks – chopped
- 1 small onion – chopped finely
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1.5 cup mushrooms – sliced
- 4 large carrots chopped or shredded
- 1 bell pepper
- 5 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 2.5 cups milk
- 3 or 4 thyme sprigs
- Tomatoes – diced for topping
- Green onions – sliced for topping
- Cheddar cheese – shredded for topping
- Enough tater tots to cover the top of the vessel you are using to bake your casserole in. You can use a cast iron pan or a baking dish. Your choice!
- Set your oven to 400°F
- Chop up all of your vegetables and put them into a bowl. In the meantime, melt your butter and oil together in a pot.
- Once the butter has melted, add your vegetables to the put, stir to make sure that they have all been covered with the butter. As soon as they have, cover the pot with a lid.
- Check every few minutes to stir but you are going to sweat your veggies for about 10-15 minutes. You want to make sure that they are really soft.
- You will then add your flour, make sure to coat all of your vegetables.
Add half of your milk, and stir your vegetables. It will begin to thicken. Once thick, add the rest of your milk.
- Once you have stirred your mixture and it appears to be thickening, add your vegetable bouillon. You also now want to add the thyme, and any salt or pepper you wish to add.
- Allow this mixture to sit on medium for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to the dish in which you will cook it in, and cover with tater tots.
- Place your vegetable tater tot casserole in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- When done, remove from oven and top with cheese, tomatoes and green onions prior to serving.